Thursday, October 26, 2006

That Doctor Just a House Away

The tears that glisten

as they stream down my cheeks

won’t satisfy your qualms

about a pair of eyes watching you

everyday just seeing you move

in and about the perfect life.

I seek solace in things

that’ll never happen between us

because in imagination I’ll not be angry

and you can’t shout

just because I made your house the wrong way

gave birth to retarded children

hold a job that I bring home everyday

All you can do in imagination

is to be you.

I can’t hear you because you’re too far away

but near enough to seek solace.

When you just show up from nowhere at all,

I tell myself it is for me.

After a while pretense hurts

and I realize that I don’t exist for you (!)

because all I’m doing here

is watching a normal person

Something which I can never be

Someone whom I’ll always love

but who will (quickly) detect I’m abnormal

more or less than normal

and throw me out of his life.

Your ignorance—I don’t blame you for that.

You’re smart.

No really, I want you

to hear this.

You’re smart and funny and happy and successful

In short, you’re everything that I’m not

and can never be.

That’s why I watch you

Just to feel with you

what your life, it feels like!

I don’t spend all my time here

I come precisely when you come out.

Believe me, it’s not planned.

It just happens.

Don’t blame innocent fate or blind coincidence

for making me come to see you

and letting me invade your privacy.

A horn takes me to the window.

You coming by? Notify me beforehand, will you?

So that I don’t come running to the window

Shift the curtains—enough to hide me, enough to reveal you.

Except, it’s never you.

It’s always someone else.

With time I made this cover

It’s what you see of me

What lies underneath is not your concern.

Neither is it going to be anyone else’s.

The cover-up needed expertise

When you’re hurt everyday, you learn to shield yourself.

Meanwhile, you forget your sadness;

forget sadness…hmmm

wake up to tragedies…hmmm

never sleep…hmmm

You lose all hurt and you lose all life too.

Your mama and papa away, Big Boy?

I can see you’ve got nothing to do.

I fidget when the to-do list runs out.

So I stock myself for years to last

lest I remember what I was born for.

That’ll hurt me all over again.

Don’t remind me!

I can’t build cover-ups day to day

With ashes of my life.

So I pretend I’ve got many things to do

except for what I was born to do.

Make me not think.

Big Boys don’t make anonymous cry!

If tears, my tears, didn’t spill

You wouldn’t know that you can play this game too.

Just pretend and model and show off

Every bit of human in you.

Now, that’s enough. I don’t want you to model.

It’s not about your clothes or shoes.

It’s about your heart.

I can’t hear it beat. Show me how it beats.

I should understand why it beats

without having to hear my own.

Doctor, are you?

May be I can be your patient

and license you to play God.

I should talk to you

Humor you into believing I’m the best thing (?)

that could have happened to you.

Of course, that doesn’t include your hard-earned degree

that lets you make or break.

Play on…God!

Then you come closer

So close I nearly glance at your soul.

And you smile because it’s your turn now

to watch

how breathless I can be

how mystified from closer

so different than the shadows you saw on my window.

I’m not a shadow but my shadow hates to be me too.

My breath quickens, it may stop

by the knowledge of being watched.

Loving is not about money.

It’s about standing by to see her dreams fulfilled.

Not only yours.

Having enough belief in her.

Letting go of her.

It isn’t about hurting her

and healing it with ice-cream.

One moment you love her because she’s a success

and the next she gets beaten because she failed.

Where’s love then?

Inside that ice-cream?

Hiding and cowering

so that it doesn’t get beaten too.

Love her as a part of you

Not like someone who’s going away without your permission.

The city lights make me feel (I’m) naïve

because I can’t carry all that light in me.

The lights in your house give me life.

Inspire to prove to you

I’m not awake for nothing

I could have been lost in dreams by now

But I’m awake. Rooted in being awake.

Looted of beautiful dreams by the minute.

I am like the dog that you cuddle -

wagging my tail

at your face and behind you.

I cling on to you…

Impressions, glimpses, retakes

whatever you give, I take.

If it’s anyone, it’s you doctor

who can cure me of this obsession for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Held on for as much as I could. But couldn't help it anyway.. had to cry.......sorry!

Anonymous said...

Here is the one you have read already.... I am clearing up my desktop as I leave this place soon, And I dont keep what I create... besides it was for u. Consider this as a comment/compliment to honour your superb works.. particularly this one, "The doctor....²



My quest to sense you!

Are you;

The images in a cloud,
of a boy’s imagination?
The brightness of the temple pinnacle,
accentuated by the morning light?
The intermittent vision in the darkness,
given by a firefly in search of love?
The colours of life in the aura,
radiant from an elderly’s birthday candle?


The first tune of Maalshree,
eagerly awaited by children?
The intimate sound of waves,
rinsing the silent banks?
The mystic chirps of birds,
of a vibrant new dawn?
The tranquillity felt in the snickers
of an infant gently tickled?


The warmth of my imminent pyre,
that I hope will make you stronger?
The shape of inspiration,
fulfilling my deprivation?
The incessant source of words here,
as tribute our elusive love?
The gentle breeze of breaths in my ears.
throbbing my heart to bliss?

Are you;

The symbol of chastity,
running down in my tears?
The realm of rampant senses,
fomenting my dormant feelings?
The exemplar so relevant,
as unparalleled beauty?
Yet, are you;
The oblivion of sweetness and the fragrance.
that will last for eternity?

- S
13:14, July 25, 2008

Anonymous said...

"Love is not ready for you. Maybe love just isn't the marrying type.
Maybe the next time you see love is twenty years after the marriage. Love will look older then, but just as beautiful as you remember."
I sincerely apologize for disappearing on you. I didn't want to but had to. Hope you find comfort in the fact that I still think about you every since day.